Friday, December 31, 2010

The Eve

Here we are, on the fence between two years and two decades. I have this satisfying image in my head of sitting on top of a flight of stairs, looking down at the ten steps below me as if each one was one year, and the whole flight the first decade of the 21st century. Turning around to look above me, the flights go on for so long they disappear into the fog. But sitting here now, I can easily see all that's below me (us) now, water under the bridge.

You can make lists upon lists of events, people, sounds, tragedies, glories, miracles that happen in a year or decade gone by. Throughout it all, that ghost is with us, taking it all in, growing with each year to encompass all that we've been through and help us move forward.

At moments like this one, that ghost helps us look back and remember: hold those memories close.

Together, we move forward into 2011. We are three artists coming together to create, to push each other and therefore ourselves. I can't think of a more inspiring, hopeful and fitting way to step into the second decade of the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment